Sunday, October 26, 2008

Japanese Beef Stew


Beef Stew is my husband's favorite meal. Do I ever fix it? No. I love him, but my stew isn't that good, and I just don't really love stew. But this stew recipe caught my eye and the accompanying article made me try it. My husband and I both loved it, and it can be made in 30 minutes. The students in the cooking class seemed to like it too.

So what got me to try it? In the article you'll see that it starts out with a discussion of the question asked at the checkout stand "paper or plastic?" A more meaningful and environmentally friendly choice might be between "meat or vegetable?" With this stew, a minimal amount of meat is used, but the Asian flavorings make up the difference.

One thing I would suggest: if you use the big potatoes from Costco, two would be too much. Use one and a half. That would be just right. Or use just one and add some other vegetable, say some celery.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/pacificnw/2008183648_footfood28.html

1 comment:

Ivy said...

I am so sad I missed your class!